Welcome to the Ladder Growth Marketing Blog!
Over the last year, we’ve been sharing the experiences, go-to growth strategies, and top tips that help us grow both Ladder and our clients’ businesses.
This post will serve as an introduction to our growth marketing articles, giving you a place to start your growth journey.
Whether you’re a B2B/SaaS business, a B2C/eCommerce store, or a marketer — new or experienced — looking to expand your marketing knowledge, we’ve got something for you.
Table of Contents:
So without further ado, let’s get into it, starting with…
One of the biggest recurring problems we see both for fellow marketers and for our clients is deciding exactly which growth tactics to try out. Many read a ton of different blog posts and rarely find exactly what they need.
A big part of what we are doing in building the Ladder Planner is creating the world’s largest database of ROI-driven growth tactics with actual performance data from real growth tests we’ve run internally and with clients.
So if you’re stuck and out of ideas, check out our three major repositories of growth tactics:
- Our Growth Test Success Rate Is 300% Higher Than Market Average. Here’s Why: – This post explains exactly how and why Ladder manages to drive 300% higher success rates on marketing tests and experiments than the market average (as determined by Harvard Business Review, Sumo.com, and others).
- 209 Actionable Growth Strategies for Your Business (…and Counting!) – This post covers our top-performing, go-to high value growth tactics. We come back to them consistently for all our clients, so if you need inspiration across your full marketing funnel, this is the right place to start.
- The Ladder Playbook – A repository of all the tactics in our database that are fully illustrated, have detailed descriptions, and contain Learn More links that provide a deeper dive into a specific topic. This database is fully searchable for your
- The Ladder Planner – The ultimate growth strategy database — 1000+ tactics across all funnel stages — combined with a drag-and-drop marketing plan builder, the ability to execute and track performance of marketing tests, and much more.
- Ladder’s Marketing Stack – This is a full, always updated list of the growth tools and software that we use to grow businesses. From landing page builders to UX/UI wireframing tools, ads platforms to analytics suites, and much more, we’re sharing our entire growth marketing stack with you.
- Scientific Marketing: Using Data to Drive Your Marketing Strategy
- Why Our Growth Agency Doesn’t “Growth Hack”
Are you marketing a B2B or SaaS business? We’ve got some great posts for you, but it’s our most important B2B post that should be your starting point.
This post is the right B2B/SaaS starting point because it features the 10 tactics that Ladder’s strategists consider their go-to tests for their B2B clients. These tactics have proven time and again that they work extremely well at driving ROI for software companies, B2B giants, small SaaS startups, and any B2B business you can imagine.
Here’s what you’ll get with each tactic:
- The tactic name and average return on investment (ROI) based on prior tests with our clients
- Whether the tactic requires a media budget (denoted with $)
- A quote from the Ladder strategist that chose the tactic
- A brief description followed by a step-by-step implementation guide
So if you want to hear about the tactics Ladder’s strategists use most for B2B clients, this is where to start.
- 31 Email Marketing Tactics to Boost SaaS User Retention
- 11 Essential SaaS Marketing Tactics for Growth & Retention
- 9 Essential Tools You Need To Grow a Successful SaaS Business
- 18 Marketing Tactics to Attract B2B Customers with a B2C Product
One of the biggest problems facing most of our B2C clients is conversion – increasing the number of people that actually end up buying something. For that, we wrote out a list of our favorite landing page tests and a list of our favorite ad copy tests, all designed to get more clicks and conversions.
Here they are:
- 21 Conversion-Oriented Landing Page Tests for Your Business – Sometimes the problem with your conversion rate is your landing page / homepage. People don’t necessarily understand what they need to do with your page or aren’t properly led to the right products. These tests, executable with Unbounce, LeadPages, Shopify, or any other landing page builder, can help you get your conversion rate back on track.
- 41 Ad Copy Approaches to Increase Ad Click Rates – If your conversion rate is in a good spot for your industry, then some ad copy approaches that increase click rates can help you take further advantage of that performance. These 41 different ways to target ad copy can give you the right ideas for your next ad.
- 7 Go-To eCommerce Growth Strategies Guaranteed to Increase Revenue
- 7 More Revenue-Driving eCommerce Growth Tactics
- 6 Essential Marketing Tactics to Grow Your eCommerce Store
- 8 Essential Tools You Need to Grow a Booming eCommerce Business
All the major advertising platforms behave a bit differently from one another and require different approaches to audience and keyword targeting. We’re working through building out step-by-step guides for them all, but you can start with the big dog — Google AdWords:
So you’re about to run some slick ads on Google AdWords. You’ve got a great idea for what you want your copy and creative to look like.
All that’s left is choosing the right keywords.
And you’re stumped.
We’ve all been there, but these keyword approaches will help you get your AdWords campaigns off the ground.
Here’s what you’ll get in this post:
- A high-performing keyword targeting strategy
- The average ROI we’ve seen in CPC improvement across all tests with Ladder clients
- A step-by-step guide to putting the keyword targeting strategy into action
- How Facebook Ads Work
- [Case Study] How Facebook Lead Ads Decreased Our Cost Per Lead by 80%
- 10 Powerful Twitter Ads Strategies to Supercharge Your Growth
- What are Featured Snippets? A Quick Guide for Marketers
Our biggest pain point, both internally and with clients, has been doing a proper setup of analytics and event tracking. And since we work with so many different businesses that have different needs and audiences, we need to have a robust setup guide.
So we built that exact guide, and our strategists use it to implement tracking for every business they work on.
Here’s the crux of that post:
Analytics is truly a case of garbage in, garbage out.
If you don’t have event tracking set up, you won’t know much about what your users are doing on your website or mobile app. That means you’ll really struggle to make the kinds of decisions that can grow your business.
If you can’t trust your tracking setup, you can’t trust your data. If you can’t trust your data, you can’t make decisions – or worse, you’ll make the wrong decisions.
Despite its importance, we’ve yet to find a business that has a perfect tracking setup.
So we uncomplicated that process for you.
- Beginner’s Guide to Marketing Funnel Analysis
- Not Sure Which Marketing Funnel Stage to Target? Start Here
- How to Forecast Performance for Your Marketing Campaigns
- The Marketing Metrics Checklist: 8 Numbers You Need To Check Daily
Transparency is in Ladder’s DNA, and part of that effort to stay transparent means we’re constantly sharing internal data as part of our efforts to educate through content. To that effect, we’ve been running audits on our current marketing campaigns to figure out where we could properly test and execute new marketing ideas.
- How to Test Drive Your Business Idea Before Quitting Your Job – If you’re planning on starting your own business, building out a new product, or following your entrepreneurial drive, this post is for you. It covers the entire process of testing a business idea, from strategy to execution, in detail.
- PPC Audit – This is our audit of Ladder’s currently running PPC campaigns. We learned a LOT about what works and doesn’t work in our PPC marketing through this audit. If you want to learn how to run an audit like this, the post also acts as a detailed auditing guide for your benefit.
- Analytics Audit – Similar to our PPC audit, we also audited our analytics setup to look at how we track events, conversions, etc… This post is also highly detailed and acts as a how-to guide, so if you need to look at your analytics in depth, go no further.
And that should be a great way to start your growth journey with the Ladder blog! We’re going to continue publishing one to three new posts every week, so keep an eye out for new growth strategies for your business!
Want us to write about a topic? Reach out to our Head of Content, Stefan: [email protected]
And keep up to date with the latest from Ladder by signing up for our newsletter!